Reasons not to vote for Mark DeSantis
Luke Ravenstahl has been working hard giving everyone reasons not to vote for him, so I thought I would take a minute to review reasons not to vote for his most prominent opponent, seen here discussing the fish he almost caught.
1. He looks like a doofus in pictures. Luke tends to look like a doofus too, but at least he has the sense to pick and choose the least doofusy photos for his campaign website. The DeSantis site is chockablock with photos like the one you see here.
2. He is a Republican, and doesn’t see anything wrong with that.
3. He is a dilettante who didn’t take this race seriously enough to start running in May when he became the nominee.
4. When he got into this race I sat down for coffee with him and he wore short pants. Perhaps he was trying to youth himself up in comparison to the mayor, but dressing up as a child is not the way to go about it. In his defense, though, his sartorial sins are far from as bad as wearing flip-flops on an airplane.
5. He will lose, but he could win some combination of the seventh, fourteenth and eleventh wards. Next year will be an extremely divisive national election, which will leave dedicated Democrats even more dedicated. The year after that, Speedy Ravenstahl will face what will, if he keeps screwing up, be a tough race for the Democratic nomination. Old school Democrats will remember that the base of any likely progressive leaning candidate (Peduto, Lamb, Shields, Dowd) went over to the side that gave us George W. Bush, Sam Brownback, Rudy Giuliani, and who knows what other creeps and liars who arise between now and then. You can be sure that Ravenstahl will remind them. Kleptocratic, nepotistic, anti-choice councilman Len Bodack tried to use the “my opponent is a Republican in disguise” argument without any basis at all in the last primary, and he came close to winning.
6. He spends too much time talking about his opponent, which gives little sense of what he will do once he is the guy in the big chair.
7. If you are going to vote for someone who can’t win, why not go with the guy with the balls to run as a Socialist Worker?