I’m a huge fan of PG+, for a multitude of reasons. Let’s do this in list format:
- The Feed. Awesome, constantly updated content not only from around the web, but also highlights features from PG+ that otherwise I wouldn’t know I couldn’t live without.
- Reader blogs. I don’t write over there, but I try to comment as much as I can, and there are some great writers contributing.
- The Perks. I haven’t used my card yet to get a discount anywhere, but to make up for it, I keep winning tickets to plays and movies. Especially movies before they are released. Pretty awesome.
- It’s a conversation, and I enjoy that. The writing is a bit more casual, and the whole thing feels more like a blog. Not to say local journalism is bad, but it’s nice to let the writers relax a bit, have fun with the readers and write about what they are passionate about.
- The sound off box, or whatever it’s called, is always a great read, mostly about the current sports headlines, but awesome nonetheless.
- The video channel. Although truth be told, I keep trying to get them to do a password-protected RSS feed so I can just download the videos to iTunes or Zune. Otherwise, I find that I don’t have the time to watch (I highly recommend Omnivore, and I am missing The Radical Middle). This is probably my biggest gripe, but it’s not a huge one.
- It runs on Joomla! which is a CMS that I use and love.
At least, it used to run on Joomla! We’ll find out tomorrow when the new version is unveiled:
PG Plus is offline for a few hours while we migrate it over to the NEW PG Plus v2.0 site. New design, new mobile features and well just a better platform for us to roll a bunch of new stuff out over the coming weeks. but first… we have to migrate (why do I suddenly feel like a lemming!?) See you on the other side – New site will be up by the morning. Thanks, PGinteractive
I was always a little smug in my head, knowing that the Post Gazette used the same CMS that I did, so I’m kind of sad to see them migrate, but hey, the mobile features I’m sure will make up for it.
I really could go on and on about PG+, I know they did a free day where anyone could log in and see what it was, but the server got overloaded really quickly. If you haven’t checked it out, give it a shot, sign up for one month to see if you like it. You won’t be disappointed.